Stir, stir!


Nick loves milkshakes. He is a creature of habit and tends to chose either chocolate or vanilla. He is also stuck in the pattern of asking us to *stir* his milkshake. Of course this is totally understandable when the texture is thick like icecream, but a pain in the butt when I know the liquid is easily drinkable. He drinks straight from the glass. Routine and sameness can be the name of the game so I make sure to throw him curveballs!

One thing that has been bothering me is his low tone, especially around the mouth. It has got worse over the holidays and it is all due to me not following through with his speech/mouth exercises. Bad Mum. Meh.

Yesterday I had an *AHA* moment. I decided that whenever Nick asked me to stir the milkshake, I would use a straw to do so. Then the next step would for Nick to suck up the milkshake through the straw. Twice. 

Guess what? It's working. A win win for the both of us. He gets the stir stir and I get the opportunity to encourage some mouth exercises. 

Note: It is only recently in the last year that Nick has learnt to use a straw! Low tone has a lot to answer for!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. x